Three US citizens found dead in a Mexico City Airbnb apartment

94
Jordan Marshall, Kandace Florence and Courtez Hall (Courtesy of their families)

Three US citizens staying at an Airbnb in Mexico City were found dead inside their apartment from what appeared to be carbon monoxide poisoning, authorities said Tuesday.

Security guards in the apartment complex reported a strong smell of gas to police, who found the bodies of a woman and two men inside, the city prosecutor’s office said. They were discovered on Oct. 30 in La Rosita, a neighborhood close to Santa Fe, a wealthy area lined with corporate skyscrapers.

Their deaths come amid a surge in Americans visiting and moving to Mexico, with the capital as their top destination. While an unusual occurrence, accidents, and explosions have been reported in Mexico when the use of LPG and other gas sources to heat homes and water has resulted in leaks.

Airbnb said it was preparing a statement to respond to the incident.

According to industry data provider AirDNA, there are more than 19,000 short-term rentals in Mexico City, with just over 90% of those listed on Airbnb.

Wavy.com first reported the deaths, saying one of the victims told her boyfriend over the phone that she was getting sick before she got disconnected. The boyfriend called the Airbnb host to do a welfare check and authorities found the bodies, Wavy.com reported. Two of the victims were from Virginia Beach and one from New Orleans, all three in their 20s.

Source: El Financiero

The Mexico City Post